Just like I said, I made two dresses - in tandem, from the same pattern, McCalls 5974. Luckily, I could use navy blue thread for both. If I had really tried I could probably have finished them in a day. I took my time and finished them on a rainy weekend, between household chores.
The front has an inset midriff band, the bottom edge of which is slightly above the waist. The bodice and skirt are each pleated into the band. There isn't too much bulk.
The back, however, is totally plain. I think I would like the back view better with the midriff band. If I was going to make this again (I probably won't) I'd consider modifying the back. Coffin clothes. Harumph.
I can't complain about the fit. I cut a straight size 10. Palmer & Pletsch wrote all kinds of detailed instructions for fitting this pattern but really? It's a knit dress. Knits are pretty forgiving. I liked the side seam insurance they built into the pattern, however - 1" side seam allowances. I dutifully basted and tried it on - then sewed the seams permanently exactly as drafted.
Jalie no-elastic self-fabric binding technique. Here's a close up view of the scoop neck. It adds just the right amount of stability to the neckline. I cut the binding 85% of the length of the neck edge; with this soft fabric I could have cinched it in some more, but it's ok as is.
And here is View C which I prefer. The waist ties give it more interest, and cover up the plain back.
The tie is a long tapered piece sewn in the side seams single-layer, but then folded over on itself to create a finished tie.
I haven't decided which one to wear first, but I'll have to wait. It's way too cold this week for little knit dresses!
8 hours ago