Yup, The Sewing Lawyer has a new swimsuit, just in time for next week's two swim practices. I'm very pleased with it - it's functional, feels comfortably long enough, and is snug without being too tight in any direction.
The fit and style are very similar to expensive RTW suits (i.e. Speedo, Tyr brands) except that those would have more contrast trim. Of course, I could have jazzed my suit up as per the pattern but I didn't have any plain black or navy in 100% polyester in my stash, and refuse to consider a swimsuit with any lycra because they disintegrate far too fast.
|The threads at CB are evidence|
of the last basted fit
After the adjustments I made to the pattern (detailed here), I proceeded cautiously because I figured that after adding the lining fabric to the front pieces the body would be less stretchy and after adding the elastic, the length would be less stretchy. So I basted it together at least 3 times while in progress.
The elastic makes a huge difference to the security of the suit. For next time, I'm going to try to remember that if the unelasticized suit feels sloppy and too long, it'll be just fine once an appropriate amount of elastic is applied.
I'm not 100% taken with the angle of the leg opening at front, but the back coverage is perfect with the width I added.
|Innards - showing the front seams|