Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ta. Da.

I finished the jacket, just in the nick of time as temperatures plummeted (frost warnings three nights in a row) so I could actually wear it.  The entire suit, alas, will have to wait until fall, since I will be lucky to finish it this coming weekend and surely it will be unsuitably wintry garb after the long weekend in May (Canadian tradition demands that one shift mentally to spring after this holiday which nominally celebrates the Queen's birthday).

Anyway, here it is.  The photo of the front  is pretty bad due to bright light conditions and camera operator ineptitude.  I darkened it but unfortunately, the jacket looks kind of drab.  It isn't, in real life.  I'm wearing it with these pants. The fabric leftover from making them supplied the contrast for the piping and buttonholes.  Therefore they must "go with" this jacket perfectly.






Speaking of those details, here's a closeup of the jacket front.  As I said in my last post, I was very pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the piping insertion went.  Shortage of fabric meant that the bias strips were pieced.  The piping is therefore marginally thicker in a couple of spots, which are however functionally invisible if you follow the 6 foot rule.*

Buttons are plastic with silver metallic inserts.  The lining is Bemberg which, as you can see, has a woven-in pattern.  All materials - every last bit - came from stash.

I really am going to finish the skirt very soon, after which I'll record it here, put it lovingly in my closet, and switch to writing about sewing lightweight, airy cotton items.  I have such a thing already cut out, in fact, and am dreaming of white linen jeans...



* If a sewing mistake cannot be seen by the average viewer standing a reasonable distance away, it doesn't exist.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful suit jacket! Your attention to detail is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Love,love,love the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic and so professional! You do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really neat and inspiring. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay - it looks terrific! What beautiful tailoring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a professional project! I love the lining and piping-outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is so nice and neat! Nice surprise on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket is absolutely gorgeous! Interesting how a little bit of attention to detail (like piping, etc,), take an item up quite a few notches. Without - it just wouldn't be quite so amazing.
    (Is there any hope that we will actually be able to wear summer clothes this year?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fit and truly inspiring result. And, I can't see any problems with the piping. For me - that would be perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your 6 foot rule! I will abide by it. It's an awesome jacket, I can only dream of sewing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous. Which pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspiring, indeed! Your skills are exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful and perfectly made! Love the 6-foot rule -- I need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome awesome awesome jacket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That jacket looks amazeballs! totally a RTW look. and the piping is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic jacket!! Everything, the fit, the fabric, the details are fabulous! And I like that 6 foot rule, I have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mother's six foot rule went like this, "A blind man riding by on horseback wouldn't notice that." I have long been a follower of your blog. I admire your sewing and knitting talents.

    Donna, in Halifax

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beautiful jacket and really shows all of the hard work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete