Saturday, August 31, 2013

The great sewing room makeover - phase II

In my first post on this subject, I promised I'd document the makeover of the annexed room once it was done.  Today the Murphy bed was delivered.  And I installed the new halogen light fixture (wow, that is bright!).  So it's sufficiently done to show you.

Behold:

The two Expedit units I put together a few weeks ago are shown here.  It didn't take very long before they were both pretty full.  I rolled my knit stash into two cubes of the shorter unit.  Previously, this part of my stash was in under-bed storage and so practically inaccessible.  Reacquainting myself with it was a good thing - I've already used part of one piece!

On the opposite wall is the pièce de résistance - the newly-installed Murphy bed.  It looks like a nice big closet, but folds down to be a full-sized bed!  It's very easy to operate - special hardware ensures it is practically effortless to raise and lower.

It even has a built-in reading light!

I love the fact that this bed means the room is completely dual-purpose.  It's a very comfortable bedroom, but it leaves tons of space for my cutting table, when the bed is folded up!  Finally!  I can walk all the way around my cutting table.

Bliss.


21 comments:

  1. Having the ability to walk around the cutting table is SO nice. Your sewing space looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE that bed - and that room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought how great it would be if a cutting table could fold down from the face of a murphy bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I asked about a mirror face on the bed, but was talked out of it. Too heavy and brittle.

      Delete
  4. That's great, Kay! It must be so great to have things organized like that. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bed is perfect. As are the Ikea units. Good to have that space to yourself (most of the time)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! And must be very comfortable to create now. Oh and murphy bed looks like the plan well thought. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place to sew and a great space to spend a few nights in as a guest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely! that's such a great hack to free up space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing room looks great! Can you please tell us where you ordered the Murphy bed? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a local company, in Ottawa ON, called The Guest Room.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful! Nothing beats full access to a cutting table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just great! I love the Murphy Bed and Cutting Table arrangement. How about a mirrored screen? That could be nice in lots of ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like this idea! I'll be on the lookout for one.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic idea to have a Murphy bed. Congrats on a lovely space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your room looks great! That murphy bed could be good for rather exhausting projects too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow -- I have seen the Murphy Bed suggestion in some of the sewing room organizing/remodeling books, but have no idea where you would get such a thing. Was it built by a local carpenter, or is this a mail order, DIY install project? Currently I have NO guest room in my home -- my sewing machines have their own "bedroom," but out-of-town guests are directed to the nearest hotel. ;-)

    I love your new room, especially the paint colors you've used for the walls, Murphy bed and shelving units. Keeping the paint colors fairly light and with minimal contrast really helps the room to feel as open and spacious as possible, and doesn't fight with the colors in your lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree that guest room and sewing room are a perfect combination. When you have guests, you're generally not sewing :-). Unless they're that kind of guest, and then they don't mind a bit sleeping in the middle of a big sewing mess. Either way you win.
    Very impressed with the Murphy bed. And a reading light is a perfect touch of hospitality..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Walking all the way around a cutting table is indeed bliss. Great Murphy bed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Bunny, nothing better than full access to your cutting table. After years of having only front access to mine I reorganized too and boy is it nice to be able to walk around your cutting table. Not only is it easier on the back, but cutting is more accurate too. The Murphy bed makes so much sense if you don't have a full time resident of that room. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you have the bed that folds up when not in use. My sewing room is a former garage remodeled inside to a bedroom. This room also serves as my sewing room. I need a fold down bed like yours. Will be looking for one soon. Love your blog. New follower from www.blackberrywintercrafts.blogspot.com
    Donna L.

    ReplyDelete