Completed in January, 2013. Made from really nice fingering weight wool (Louet Gems 100% merino). After two years of not-hard wear, this:
On inspecting my other me-made socks of similar age, made from "sock wool" i.e. wool with 25% or so nylon, they are in better shape. If I'm going to spend a lot of time hand-knitting socks in future, I'll pay better attention to the fibre content.
Anyway, since I spent A LOT of time knitting these particular ones (the most complicated/fancy socks in my wardrobe) I thought I'd spend a little time mending them.
For the record this is the first time I have ever mended socks. I knew that you can darn by sort of weaving a patch, but IMHO that's really ugly. So I did a little research. Turns out you can also darn by doing duplicate stitch, i.e. following the path of the original knitting. Even to fill in an actual hole! Here's the info.
The finished patch is only moderately ugly. I don't know how long it will last, but it'll give these poor tired socks a new lease on life for a little while at least.